Do you like Egg Salad? I would guess that you do, since you’re reading this blog post.
While Tofu + Vegan Mayo + Turmeric looks like Egg Salad, it just tastes like…Tofu, Mayo, and Turmeric. No surprises there!
The secret to making Vegan Egg Salad taste like the real dang deal is to use Black Salt. Also known as Kala Namak, this rock salt is often used in Southern Asian cooking and has a sulfur-like taste to it. Which, if you didn’t know, tastes almost exactly like Hard Boiled Eggs. I purchased a bag of Black Salt online for a pretty affordable price, but you may be able to find it at specialty grocery stores as well.
- 2 blocks Medium-Firm Tofu, pressed*
- 1 cup Cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours
- ½ tsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp Distilled White Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Fresh Chives, chopped
- 1 ½ tsp Kala Namak (Black Salt)*
- ¼ cup Filtered Water
- Black Pepper, to taste
- ¼ tsp Turmeric (Optional, for color)
- Remove the Tofu from its package and press for 10-15 minutes. Then, the Tofu to a clean, dry towel and wrap it up while you prepare the “dressing.”
- To make the Mayo “dressing”, add all of the remaining ingredients, except for the Chives, to a high-speed blender and process until thick and creamy.
- Uncover the Tofu and use a knife to roughly chop it; I cut mine into thin strips, then on random diagonals to make a variety of chunks. Gently press another clean towel on top of the chopped Tofu to remove any excess moisture, then transfer to a bowl. Add in the Chives and dressing, and fold until well incorporated.
- Add more Black Salt and Pepper to taste, then serve as desired. Refrigerate leftovers for up to 7 days; this recipe will not freeze well.
- For a Nut Free Version, substitute the Cashews for store-bought Vegan Mayo. Instead of the “dressing” above, simply blend 1 1/2 cup Vegan Mayo with 1 tsp Dijon Mustard and 1/2 tsp Kala Namak Salt.
- If you are not using Black Salt in this recipe, start with 1/2 tsp of Fine Salt and add from there.
- If you’d like to add some crunch to this recipe, add ¼ cup finely diced Celery or Red Onion!